Webdev: the times, they are a changin'

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Mon Apr 16 20:50:52 MDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> Perl:  Well, I've been looking at this.  It's still good, but it's still
> the old CGI model.  There's progress with PSGI, but it's all very
> experimental, or if not considered such, doesn't work with Apache at all
> (or is just a veneer over CGI/FastCGI).  mod_psgi is... less than
> mature.  So I guess if I'm going back to CGI, I'm fine, but that's not
> "the modern way", is it?  Maybe this is stable/mature for Perl?  I've
> never been part of Perl culture, so I don't know.

wait, what? old CGI model?

This is Perl, there are more web frameworks than you can shake a stick
at. Ones that are truly perlish, others that are clones of whatever
flavor you like from any other language. And most all plug into
mod_perl if you want apache for the most powerful combination you can
get. nginex and others work as well.

Whether you want a modern kitchen sink tool like Catalyst, embedded
code like Mason, toolkits like CGI::Ex. There is a wide variety of
very mature options.

--
Jayce^

Preparing Deseret - UtahPreppers