testing, staging, deployment processes

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Sep 21 16:07:24 MDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM, justin <justin at justinhileman.info> wrote:
> A new release should always be tagged. You don't have to cut a release
> branch, but having one is a good in-between step that allows for
> last-minute QA and automated bug detection and resolution... we tend
> to tag immediately before deploying, since tags are immutable.

In SVN, tags are mutable, they are behave the same as a branch. Also, a
branch is fairly expensive in SVN as it requires a complete copy of the
code base.  With a large code base and frequent (daily+) releases, these
tags can make your repository become quite unwieldy.  This is often why
many agile developers prefer other version control systems.  SVN can be
used in agile development, but there are a few drawbacks for sure.

--lonnie