testing, staging, deployment processes

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 08:01:45 MDT 2011

A little background.  I have worked on teams ranging in size from 1
person (just me), to 5,000 in a single org.  I've held positions
ranging from entry level software developer, to lead developer, all
the way to project manager.

For most of the successful larger teams I've worked on, the process is
pretty much as you described.
The difference is subtle and has to do with the way QA is viewed in
the organization.

Three primary branches are created in the repo, called dev, test and stable.

First the team as a whole develops the acceptance criteria for the
product they are creating and writes those criteria into tests that
can verify as much functionality as possible at compile time, these
are called unit tests.  Once the tests are in place, they form the
basis of the dev and test branches.

The software team then develops source code which will pass the
compile time testing (or possibly new tests if it's found out the
acceptance criteria were incorrectly specified), then a patch is
submitted to the QA branch.

No matter how many people you have, a QA department should handle
testing the code for anything beyond the initial "compile & pray"
stage and provide detailed feedback to the developer(s) (although
generally it will be the team lead) responsible for the source code.

  If your organization is just starting out, then your entire QA
department may in fact be just one guy or gal, may even be you
yourself but you should treat it mentally as a separate job.

QA's ONLY job is to test against the documented acceptance criteria,
and either accept or reject it.  If you are good at writing your own
software tests (this includes unit testing but also other tests like
client/server dummies), then you will generally find your rejections
are limited to criteria that cannot be easily automated.  (In my
experience those failures are generally against subjective criteria.)

Even though QA can be a completely separate department not affiliated
with the dev department; I did once work for a company where the QA
department was comprised primarily of the software development team
leads and in my opinion this was the most effective setup, since if it
doesn't work, you're gonna hear about it directly from your boss.

After QA deems that your team's code is fully functional and passes
all acceptance criteria, a patch is then made and applied from the
test branch to the stable branch.  Since QA are the gatekeepers here
it's their job to make sure that this part of the process works.
Since it's an aggregate step instead of a per developer step, it's
generally successful, and the QA folks are expected to throw the dev
grunts a pizza party each time this happens :)

Now there are numerous exceptions to this, but most of the truly
successful organizations I've worked for use this or some variant.

For instance exceptionally large software products, may not have a 1
to 1 mapping between dev & qa.  Instead they isolate the functionality
of the product into various domains, each with their own dev teams.
Then there are aggregate QA teams that handle input from multiple dev
teams.  Hopefully with a final master QA team that includes beta
testers.

Honestly though, projects of that size and scope will generally be
enterprise projects that touch on more than just software.  In this
case the project will hopefully have a project manager co-ordinating
everything and facilitating communication across the vastness of the
project.

Sincerely,
Dale