Lightweight Wordprocessors for Linux?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 04:27:32 MDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I have an older laptop that's running linux and I'm mostly using it
for taking notes and the like.
It's running Ubuntu Natty but with LXDE for a window manager.

Today I had to edit a word file that had been exported to ODT to
update documentation for a project I am working on.
In the process it launched Libre Office.
This software feels bloated and heavy.  It takes a little over a
minute to launch and sometimes seconds will pass between the time I
type something and the time it appears on the screen.
Normally I would just use a text editor like gEdit, but the documents
I'm starting to work with are ODT.
I was able to get some speed using google docs, but I don't like the
idea of relying on gdocs when I know there have to be better options.
Anyone use on of the lighter weight word processors lately and if so
what was your opinion on it overall?
(Not looking for a vi or emacs answer here please).

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Dale