Interesting Op Ed about iProvo today.

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Fri Sep 9 12:09:13 MDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 11:55:54AM -0600, Bart Whiteley wrote:
> > 1) The city of Provo determined that ISPs could only sign up if they
> > offered Internet, phone, and TV.  This locked out good ISPs like
> > XMission that had no interest in TV.
>
> That was unfortunate, but somewhat understandable.  The city needed a
> significant number of subscribers to sign up for all three in order to
> reach its revenue goals and make bond payments.

That plan sure worked, didn't it? :)

> > 3) Broadweave bought out iProvo and all of its ISPs, so my understanding
> > is that it's no longer a municipal service at all
>
> True, although now it seems likely that iProvo will be returned to the
> city (while Veracity continues to manage the network).  Perhaps then
> it might be opened up to allow other ISPs.

I haven't heard anything about it being returned to the city.  It sounds
interesting, but I'd definitely like to have more information.

In the meantime, it's iProvo (private network, single ISP) is
significantly different from Utopia (public network, many ISPs).

> The early ISPs were particularly bad, which really hurt iProvo because
> people avoided signing up based on word-of-mouth horror stories.  The
> initial bad reputation has been difficulty to overcome.

Indeed.

> The current state is much better.  Veracity has matured into a good
> provider.  The service is very solid with very few outages.  My recent
> experience with their support has been very positive.  I've used
> Xmission in the past, so I'm not comparing them to Comcast (which I've
> never used).  Also, I only have Internet/Phone, so I can't comment on
> TV (between OTA and Internet streaming services, why pay for
> cable/dish?).

It's nice to hear that things are getting better.

> In summary, iProvo has had some rough patches (and at some point in
> its troubled past it apparently kicked McNabb's dog).  It will
> probably have a few rough patches in the future as well.  However,
> it's also the best Internet option for Provo residents, and the future
> doesn't look all that bad for it either.

I don't have a dog, but I've heard a lot of stories of iProvo ISPs
kicking other people's dogs. :)

I've had limited personal experience with Veracity (which isn't too
positive), but most of my negative opinions are due to the mismanagement
and the bad experiences I've heard from others.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/