Interesting Op Ed about iProvo today.

Bart Whiteley bart.plug at whiteley.org
Fri Sep 9 11:55:54 MDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 10:23:20AM -0600, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
>>
>> Really how so?  I thought it was at least as good as Utopia.
>
> Here are a few problems that I'm aware of:
>
> 1) The city of Provo determined that ISPs could only sign up if they
> offered Internet, phone, and TV.  This locked out good ISPs like
> XMission that had no interest in TV.

That was unfortunate, but somewhat understandable.  The city needed a
significant number of subscribers to sign up for all three in order to
reach its revenue goals and make bond payments.

> 2) The iProvo system has been financially mismanaged--I remember hearing
> about sales tax increases, bankruptcies, sell-outs, etc.  I can't even
> keep track of any of it.

iProvo has had a troubled history with ISPs, in part due to item 1
above.  We've had Homenet, MStar, Veracity, Broadweave, and now we're
back to Veracity (did I miss anyone)?

> 3) Broadweave bought out iProvo and all of its ISPs, so my understanding
> is that it's no longer a municipal service at all

True, although now it seems likely that iProvo will be returned to the
city (while Veracity continues to manage the network).  Perhaps then
it might be opened up to allow other ISPs.

> --it's just another ISP with particularly bad service.

The early ISPs were particularly bad, which really hurt iProvo because
people avoided signing up based on word-of-mouth horror stories.  The
initial bad reputation has been difficulty to overcome.

The current state is much better.  Veracity has matured into a good
provider.  The service is very solid with very few outages.  My recent
experience with their support has been very positive.  I've used
Xmission in the past, so I'm not comparing them to Comcast (which I've
never used).  Also, I only have Internet/Phone, so I can't comment on
TV (between OTA and Internet streaming services, why pay for
cable/dish?).

In summary, iProvo has had some rough patches (and at some point in
its troubled past it apparently kicked McNabb's dog).  It will
probably have a few rough patches in the future as well.  However,
it's also the best Internet option for Provo residents, and the future
doesn't look all that bad for it either.