Interesting Op Ed about iProvo today.

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Fri Sep 9 11:15:35 MDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 10:23:20AM -0600, S. Dale Morrey wrote:

> Really how so?  I thought it was at least as good as Utopia.

Here are a few problems that I'm aware of:

1) The city of Provo determined that ISPs could only sign up if they
offered Internet, phone, and TV.  This locked out good ISPs like
XMission that had no interest in TV.

2) The iProvo system has been financially mismanaged--I remember hearing
about sales tax increases, bankruptcies, sell-outs, etc.  I can't even
keep track of any of it.

3) Broadweave bought out iProvo and all of its ISPs, so my understanding
is that it's no longer a municipal service at all--it's just another ISP
with particularly bad service.

I'm sure that I have some factual errors here (I haven't followed things
too well), and I'm sure there are other problems that I haven't noted.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/