OT: was BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

Benjamin Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:00:52 MDT 2011

There are several BSD distros.  See http://www.bsd.org/ and

Try PC-BSD or DragonFly if you are looking for a desktop distro.  There are
other derivatives such as m0n0wall, and other embedded types like pfSense.

Otherwise for FreeBSD, the handbook is tops, as well as the man pages.

There was/is a free book by Greg (grog) Lehey that helped me out a ton when
getting familiar with FreeBSD internals.  It's probably a bit dated now, but
may be a good reference, esp. the history section.

I mainly use FreeBSD on the perimeter as a firewall utilizing packet filter
(PF).  PF is much more intuitive for me than iptables.  Currently I run my
home firewall on FreeBSD on a Soekris net5501 appliance.

Check into FreeBSD Jails and CARP for some cool tech.