OT: was BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:00:45 MDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/2011 6:20 PM, John Shaver wrote:
>> This thread interests me.  I have never really tried FreeBSD.  Does it
>> have different distros the same way linux does?  Where would someone
>> recommend I start if I wanted to play around with it and familiarize
>> myself with it?

Found this on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems

Tons of different flavors like linux has and most of those flavors
branch from the freeBSD core to do something specialized & different.
However PC-BSD looks like it will make for a very usable desktop.
They even support LXDE as a window manager option straight from the
live cd, in the upcoming release.

I confess my last time playing directly with BSD was FreeBSD 5x
branch.  Since then the only experience I've had with it is when I
need to do something administrative with my FreeNAS server, it's been
so long I don't have the admin password for it anymore :)