OT: was BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Thu Sep 8 18:55:05 MDT 2011

On 9/8/2011 6:20 PM, John Shaver wrote:
> This thread interests me.  I have never really tried FreeBSD.  Does it
> have different distros the same way linux does?  Where would someone
> recommend I start if I wanted to play around with it and familiarize
> myself with it?

It has several flavors with their own mentalities and goals, much like
Linux flavors.  The ones I know of are FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD.
I've only messed with Free and Open, personally.  Open is intriguing to
me because of their contribution to the Linux world with things like
OpenSSH.

You can typically just download one and install it like you would
Linux.  There's a lot of information out there on it, books, websites,
youtube videos, etc, etc.  I've enjoyed using it as a router in the
past, and both m0n0wall and pfSense are based on FreeBSD if I recall
correctly.

I can't recall if they have a LiveCD/DVD version officially released,
but someone's sure to have made one.

-Tod Hansmann