BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:13:52 MDT 2011

Speaking of PDUs with serial console concentration and power toggling,
I did the firmware for one of those while working at Linux Networx.
We used Linux, but I'm sure a BSD would have been fine.  We never did
get to current monitoring, but we did have probes for temperature
monitoring and a line for toggling the reset switch on motherboards.

The national labs loved them, but our sales guys and bean counters
didn't believe in their value and thought that IPMI was going to take
over.  Probably could have made a more successful business just
selling the power/serial boxes than trying to do supercomputers. :P

Anyway, another attractive thing about FreeBSD is that it's way less
chaotic in its development than Linux is.  The BSDs tend to have
stable internal APIs so you don't have to completely rewrite your
device drivers every few months if you want to keep up with the latest
kernels.  Plus, the core userland stuff is developed and maintained in
concert with the kernel, so it's a bit more of a cohesive system.

That said, I don't use it because I don't really have any need for the
places where it's superior, and it's easier and
functionally-equivalent (for me) to use other platforms.  I do admire
it, though, and I chuckle at the knee-jerk 'This must be wrong!  How
could anything be better at something than Linux?!' responses.