BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

Paul Seamons paul at seamons.com
Thu Sep 8 15:03:05 MDT 2011

> So this isn't just a juvenile OS contest.  This is an observation that
> FreeBSD can run some *Linux* FPS games faster than Linux can.  That is
> indeed interesting and newsworthy.  Unlike Linux, Wine, and Windows
> programs, what we're talking about here is the running of native Linux
> apps on the FreeBSD kernel directly.

It isn't a good observation.  It was ubuntu 11.4 (which uses ubiquity
and compiz) vs FreeBSD running KDE.

How would that ever be a fair comparison other than in the "out of the
box category."

How about levelling the playing field before making conclusions about
all of Linux being slower than FreeBSD at FPS games.