BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 14:41:58 MDT 2011

On 09/08/2011 07:32 AM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> Overall, "outperforming" linux in OpenGL games will boil down to
> marginal and unnoticeable differences, and could change with the next
> kernel release for either side of the comparison.  The whole article is
> just incensing argument.  "Did you know vim can outperfom emacs in code
> highlighting?"  Everyone would read that article and nobody would get
> anything useful from it, but we'd probably argue about it.  =cP

No you completely missed the point of the article.  What is really
interesting (and what hasn't really been mentioned in the comments here)
is that the FreeBSD Linux emulation mode, combined with the FreeBSD
nvidia binary driver, runs Linux FPS games faster than Ubuntu can.

So if phoronix was willing to do some more research they could find out
if a) the speedup is because the nvidia driver is faster on FreeBSD, b)
the Linux emulation mode on FreeBSD is actually faster than the Linux
kernel itself at running Linux code, or c) a little of both, or d) neither.

So this isn't just a juvenile OS contest.  This is an observation that
FreeBSD can run some *Linux* FPS games faster than Linux can.  That is
indeed interesting and newsworthy.  Unlike Linux, Wine, and Windows
programs, what we're talking about here is the running of native Linux
apps on the FreeBSD kernel directly.