BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

Henry Paul henry at paulfam.com
Thu Sep 8 10:42:25 MDT 2011

On 09/08/2011 07:32 AM, Tod Hansmann wrote:

> Hehehe.  The concept is misleading, and probably intentionally so.  The
> first indicator is that they talk about FreeBSD compared to "Linux."
> Which flavor, and with what options, and what other processes are you
> running at the same time?
>
> "Faster" how?  The only way it could do so is better CPU side
> performance since it's using the same libraries and everything anyway,
> and that's probably done by having a different scheduler and/or moving
> certain things from user space to kernel space, perhaps.  The GPU side
> of things would perform the same, and the memory side of things is
> optimized in code, not kernel.
>
> Overall, "outperforming" linux in OpenGL games will boil down to
> marginal and unnoticeable differences, and could change with the next
> kernel release for either side of the comparison.  The whole article is
> just incensing argument.  "Did you know vim can outperfom emacs in code
> highlighting?"  Everyone would read that article and nobody would get
> anything useful from it, but we'd probably argue about it.  =cP
>
> -Tod Hansmann

So this is where is we must inject some crack about "RTFA" I suppose. :)

Flavor=Ubuntu, Speed=FPS.

For a gamer, flavor is irrelevant, options are irrelevant, only FPS
matters. Resistance is futile.

But seriously, I thought it was common knowledge that FreeBSD was
superior to Linux.

<turns key, presses big red button>

--Henry