BSD faster than Linux for 3D gaming?

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Thu Sep 8 07:32:44 MDT 2011

On 9/8/2011 6:50 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just thought I would bring your attention to an article at phoronix,
> that claims that 3D linux gaming is faster under FreeBSD than it is
> under Linux.
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_games_bsd

Hehehe.  The concept is misleading, and probably intentionally so.  The
first indicator is that they talk about FreeBSD compared to "Linux."
Which flavor, and with what options, and what other processes are you
running at the same time?

"Faster" how?  The only way it could do so is better CPU side
performance since it's using the same libraries and everything anyway,
and that's probably done by having a different scheduler and/or moving
certain things from user space to kernel space, perhaps.  The GPU side
of things would perform the same, and the memory side of things is
optimized in code, not kernel.

Overall, "outperforming" linux in OpenGL games will boil down to
marginal and unnoticeable differences, and could change with the next
kernel release for either side of the comparison.  The whole article is
just incensing argument.  "Did you know vim can outperfom emacs in code
highlighting?"  Everyone would read that article and nobody would get
anything useful from it, but we'd probably argue about it.  =cP

-Tod Hansmann