Encrypted LVM partitions on Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Sep 7 16:01:15 MDT 2011

I recently bought a laptop, and installed Ubuntu 10.10 on it. I have
since upgraded to 11.04. I used encrypted LVM.

While doing bare metal backups, I learned that the partition with the
encrypted LVM has a partition type of 83 (Linux ext), not 8e (Linux
LVM). My bare metal backup code uses the partition type to determine
how to handle a partition. It bombs trying to use dumpe2fs to get ext
information from the partition, and rightly so.

Before I go ahead and change the partition type, does anyone else see
this? Is there any reason NOT to change the partition type?

Thanks