Any Willing victims?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:25:10 MDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> On 9/7/2011 8:14 AM, Corey Edwards wrote:
>> If only I had a dollar for every Nagios replacement ever started.
> This whole thing just reminded me of this: http://xkcd.com/927/
>
> I realize this is for a final project and all, but I think S. Dale needs
> to give a concise statement/list of what he needs from people, and
> explain how this isn't going to compromise their PC somehow.  Then maybe
> after all this is done we can pick apart the complexities or redundancy
> of his project =cP
>
> -Tod Hansmann

Hi there,
It's not intended to be a production ready product sorry if I gave
that impression.
This is a final project for my degree and something that combines both
my real world experience as a developer and sys-admin as well as the
majority of the topics covered in pursuit of my degree.  In otherwords
it's to demonstrate my proficiency to my school.

I mentioned Nagios because it is a product I have used in the real
world before and because the final product will implement most if not
all of it's features.

Since the the client product runs on the JVM and since it is at it's
core nothing more than an unattended chat client, it should be fairly
secure.  It connects to XMPP using SSL, so the data line is secure.  I
haven't implemented service checks yet precisely because I view
arbitrary code execution as major security hole.  I'm still working
out a best practice method of plugging that hole, but at the moment
all it does is notify of host uptime.

If the server loses communication with the client then it assume that
the host is down so you will get an alert, that is pretty much as it
should be.

What I need from volunteers is to contact me, I will provide a link to
download the client.  Once the client is installed and operational
then they just need to verify that each machine they have installed
the client on is in fact listed in the host view portion of the
website.  After that it's just a matter of responding to alerts if the
machine goes offline, or if the status of the machine is intentional
then at least scheduling the downtime via the web-interface.  In
otherwords, I'm just checking to make sure all the features currently
in existence actually function as intended before I move on to
implementing the remaining features such as service checks.

Thanks for your questions and comments, if anyone is interested in
helping me by participating in this testing phase I would be much
obliged.  OTOH I can't guarantee participation won't cause unforeseen
hairloss, or other tragic events.
Sincerely,
Dale