Advice on wireless AP vs. wireless router

Jeff Patterson jeff.patterson at dcdi.net
Wed Sep 7 08:27:36 MDT 2011

Hey everybody,

I work in a very small company that builds custom automated manufacturing
machinery in the valley. We would like to be able to access the company
network and the internet while debugging the machines away from the wired
network connection at our desk. My boss would like to install a couple of
AP's so that we can connect to the network while at the machines.

Personally, I don't see any different security concerns using our existing
wireless router (that currently has the wireless turned off) but he seems to
think that an AP is a safer solution. Are there any opinions about the
mater?

I have looked at the specs of the AP he is interested in and it looks to me
to be a router. Am I missing something or is there a reason an AP is a
better solution? We are in a a 4000 sqare foot facility that is roughly
square.

Oh, and by the way we are hiring. If anyone is interested in programming
machines or has an electrical background that would like to learn to program
machines in various languages but mostly Ladder drop me a line or visit
www.masol-inc.com

Thanks
Jeff