Any Willing victims?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Sep 7 08:14:09 MDT 2011

On 09/07/2011 01:00 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Here is a short synopsis of the project.
> I have created a network monitoring system, that uses google app
> engine as it's core server platform to help ensure scalability.
> The client product uses features of the XMPP protocol and Jingle to
> provide certain categories of monitoring such as host status, this
> helps to reduce load on both the client and the server.

[... snip ...]

> Basically there are a ton of features, everything Nagios currently
> does is on the slate as well as lots of "ease of use" improvements as
> well.

If only I had a dollar for every Nagios replacement ever started.

> For the record the client will run on anything that possess a JVM
> during this test period, but I plan to create a .NET implementation as
> well as OS native versions in the future.

I thought you said it ran on Google App Engine. Why does it need a local
JVM? Or does it have both components? How does it handle the case of the
one not being able to contact the other? Haven't you just created an
extra layer of complexity?

I'll admit I'm not that familiar with App Engine, so I could be missing
something here.

Corey