[semi-OT] local stores selling computer parts

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 18:17:06 MDT 2011

On Sep 5, 2011 9:40 AM, "Henry Paul" <henry at paulfam.com> wrote:

> I had the SAME experience a couple months ago trying to locate a USB
> serial port for a new legacy-free PC that was dependent upon a serial
> device that has no USB equivalent. When I finally COULD find someone
> that didn't require a diagram to even comprehend what I was talking
> about I was told, "oh those haven't been made for at least 10 years now."
>
> I do a search at newegg.com and found several hits with different price
> ranges for exactly what I needed. Another supplier I really enjoy is
> mwave.com. They run decent deals, have competitive prices, and their
> standard ground shipping usually gets to Orem in 2 days.
>
> So lately my strategy has been to stock a spare or two of critical parts
> so I have at least a 48-hour window in emergencies.
>
> --Henry

A far more geekier solution would be to use an arduino board and a ttl 2
rs232 chip and make your own serial converter using a couple of gpio pins.
Of course you'll have to write some kind of kernel driver for Linux to
interface with the thing. :)  but think about how much fun it all would be.

On a serious note, serial communications will likely never go away
especially in embedded environments.