comcast and kbyu

Kelly Terry ksterry at xmission.com
Wed Oct 19 19:04:00 MDT 2011

Quoting Eric Olsen <falconv at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Comcast lied to me.  I'm thinking of getting rid of them entirely, I
>> use them for cable and internet.  Suggestions for alternate providers?
>>

> For internet, as has been detailed in a previous email thread (
> http://plug.org/pipermail/plug/2011-August/026384.html) I highly recommend
> XMission. I'm almost positive they won't be the cheapest you'll find, but
> their quality and service far exceeds the cost in my opinion. They are also
> very Linux friendly, even being a mirror for a few major distros, which
> makes updating nice and fast (you don't have to be a subscriber to get
> access to their mirror, btw). If you live in an area where Utopia will drop
> a fiber line to your house, you can't beat it.

We were one of the first neighborhoods to get Utopia.  When I got the
fiber installed to my house my ISP footed the $100 installation fee
when I signed up for a one year contract.  That was quite a few years
ago.  I figured it would still be cheap now.  I tried to get a friend
onto utopia about 6 months ago.  It's now $1800 for them to drop a
line to your house and put in the UPS and access point. That's if it's
available in your neighborhood.