Scrolling on Gnome

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Oct 19 16:08:31 MDT 2011

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 10:19:32 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 09:47:08 -0600
> Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
>

> > It's called an overlay scroll bar, and it IS annoying, but can be
> > disabled one of two ways.  You can remove the "overlay-scrollbar"
> > package, or you can run this in a terminal: "echo "export
> > LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0" | sudo tee
> > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80overlayscrollbars > /dev/null".  Then just
> > re-log.
> >
> > Reference from when I did this to my install:
> > http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/disable-overlay-scrollbars-in-ubuntu.html
>
> Thank you. I took the latter approach, and it works. Much better.

Arrgggghhh! The Curse of the Undead Overlay Scrollbars, coming soon to
a theater near you! Logging in over SSH leaves the things in place.
Further, I found I had to run

aptitude purge liboverlay-scrollbar-0.1-0

on the remote host to get rid of the things.

I *think* that drove a stake through its heart. In any case I am now
typing this on Claws Mail run remotely with normal scroll bars.