comcast and kbyu

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Oct 19 08:56:03 MDT 2011

On 10/19/2011 08:24 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> However, Comcast has recently chosen to convert channel 11 from an
> analog and digital service to a digital only service. While we are
> pleased to have KBYU available in HD to those watching us through
> Comcast Cable, we share our viewer’s disappointment that Comcast has
> discontinued offering KBYU, channel 11, as part of its analog service.
>
> Subscribers to Comcast’s analog service in Utah who wish to continue
> watching KBYU Eleven have several options - converting to a Comcast
> digital subscription, watching KBYU over-the-air, or selecting another
> cable or satellite provider. Viewers should be aware that current
> Federal Communications Commission regulations do not require cable
> providers to offer an analog service beyond February 2012.

Consider the situation from the cable provider's point of view. An
analog channel takes up a lot more bandwidth than a digital channel, and
at lower quality to boot[1]. So on the one hand, customers are asking
for more channels, more HD and more Internet bandwidth but on the other
hand they don't want to give up analog transmissions to get it.

Personally I get all my TV over-the-air and use cable just for Internet,
so obviously it suits me just fine to dump all the analog channels. I
understand why that's not a good solution for everybody, but I hope you
can also see why Comcast may have done it to channel 11.

Now lying about it, that's a whole different story...

Corey

1.
http://blogmaverick.com/2008/04/10/how-to-make-us-broadband-competitive-quickly-and-cheaply/