Linux most common config

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Oct 6 18:40:43 MDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/11 1:27 PM, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
>> RAID5 is just not worth the hassle, lower performance, and much higher risk.
>>
>> Disk is cheap these days, RAID1 or RAID10 FTW IMO.
>
> Agreed, 100%.  For I/O heavy workloads, make sure you use hardware RAID
> with writeback cache (battery-backed, of course), although interesting
> things are happening with Flashcache and bcache.

If you have really heavy random I/O workloads, you might consider
ditching rotating media all together. For really high sequential IO
demands look at SSDs. For really high random IO demands, you might
consider ditching serial buses all together and go with OCZ PCIe-based
devices (or if you have the $$ and really need the max performance
then look at fusionio) which make for very high IOP devices (and even
higher sequential IO also of course).