Linux most common config

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:55:41 MDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 09:51:47AM -0400, Francisco Diaz wrote:
> I have a question for those using Linux (more in particular RHEL or CentOS)
> in production environments: what is, based on your experience or
> conversations with other sys admins, the most popular, favorite, reliable,
> or what ever you want to call it, configuration/selection of FS(ext3/4,xfs,
> reiserFS, etc) and hard drive config (partitions, raidX, LVM, JBOD, etc) for
> a production system?
>
> I know that maybe the answer will depend on what apps you have in the server
> (DB, File Server, Mail, WebApps, etc), but in general, what is the most
> common scenario in production regarding to FS and HD config?

Unless I'm setting up something that has specific write/read performance
requirements, I setup ext4 on LVM on RAID5. I never use XFS on LVM, because
you can't shrink XFS filesystems. I would never put production on ReiserFS,
mostly because there is no future with it.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o