Linux most common config

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Thu Oct 6 11:50:20 MDT 2011

On Thu, October 6, 2011 08:38, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> On Thursday, October 06, 2011 07:51:47 AM Francisco Diaz wrote:
>> I have a question for those using Linux (more in particular RHEL or CentOS)
>> in production environments: what is, based on your experience or
>> conversations with other sys admins, the most popular, favorite, reliable,
>> or what ever you want to call it, configuration/selection of FS(ext3/4,xfs,
>> reiserFS, etc) and hard drive config (partitions, raidX, LVM, JBOD, etc)
>> for a production system?
>>
>> I know that maybe the answer will depend on what apps you have in the
>> server (DB, File Server, Mail, WebApps, etc), but in general, what is the
>> most common scenario in production regarding to FS and HD config?
>
> It varies depending on what the server will be doing. For a standard server, I
> usually do software RAID1 across two drives and format partitions ext3 (or
> ext4, if it's supported).
>
> For servers that are dealing with large amounts of data, I'll use software
> RAID5 (across 3+ drives) with LVM partitions (which make it easy to grow
> later), and XFS filesystems, althought ext4 would probably now be an option
> for most of the cases where I've used XFS in the past.

Sadly, the most common configuration around here seems to be this: 64-bit
Ubuntu with a 2TB SATA disk (ext4) and 4GB of RAM. When it breaks, hire the
high-school kid who installed it so he can use 'google' to 'fix' it. Realize
you don't have any backups. Send all employees home for 3 days. Hire
ultra-expensive know-nothing IT contractor. Replace Linux server with Windows
and start data re-entry project. Wait for the first 0-Day to wipe out your
biz. Repeat annually.

Joking aside...
The most common Enterprise Linux configuration I've seen is: RHEL/CentOS, RAID
5 with SATA/SAS disks, 8GB RAM, ext3.