Impossible Laptop

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:29:39 MST 2011

On 11/18/2011 06:30 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2011 4:37 PM, "Michael Torrie" <torriem at gmail.com>
>> At one time there was a database someone had made of corrected DSDT
>> tables for various models and vendors, but last I checked it was not
>> functioning and Fedora won't use them anyway.
>
> Someone linked to it earlier in the thread. It is indeed defunct, since the
> official ACPI project stance is that these problems amount to bugs in their
> code, since regular users can hardly be expected to figure out loading of
> those tables. On the other hand, I imagine the number of platforms they can
> manage isn't huge.

Somehow I think just saying the problem is the hardware isn't really
going to fly with a lot of potential linux users.  Windows deals with
the bugs, so why can't Linux do it also?  Seems like a cop out on the
part of the devs.

It is conceivable to develop a small infrastructure that, during install
or something determines if the BIOS chipset is one that a custom DSDT is
available for, and offer to load it for the user if they choose, or by
default.  I understand the problem with debugging a kernel under such
circumstances of course.  A custom DSDT table maybe should taint the
kernel such that if a problem is reported, the vendor can say, "please
go into system settings and disable this and give us a report."  I say
regular users should expect Linux to just work, and when it doesn't, in
their minds, it's a bug in Linux (Fedora or Ubuntu, etc).