Impossible Laptop

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:37:16 MST 2011

On 11/18/2011 03:08 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:43:27 -0700
> Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I first found out about it when I was trying to figure out why
>> my netbook won't actually get through the initial kernel boot without
>> me continually pressing a key.
>
> Egad! What kind of machine is this, so the rest of us can avoid them?

This is a Lenovo S12.  A decent little machine with probably the best
keyboard a netbook has ever had.  Not made anymore.  There is a kernel
param I can pass at boot that will fix the problem on my netbook, but at
the cost of battery life.  Since the laptop runs great once it gets
booted up, and since it sleep sand wakes well (hibernate is affected by
this bug though), I live with the problem.

The problem with the booting freeze is by no means limited to this
machine though. The DSDT problem is much more widespread, though not
always manifesting itself in this way.  And though this might be a
firmware bug, I really see it as a Linux bug as things "just work" with
Windows 7.  We can scream and yell all we want about manufacturers not
following specs, but it won't change the end users' experience in Linux.

At one time there was a database someone had made of corrected DSDT
tables for various models and vendors, but last I checked it was not
functioning and Fedora won't use them anyway.