Impossible Laptop

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Nov 18 16:18:47 MST 2011

On 11/18/2011 12:45 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> My T61p is starting to show its age, but I'm having a hard time finding
> a replacement. Is it simply not possible to find a great laptop anymore?
>
> I'm looking for:
>    - Matte screen
>    - More than 1080 vertical pixels
>    - A keyboard that doesn't suck
>    - Good Linux compatiblity
>    - High quality construction
>      (able to withstand constant travel)
>
> I'm willing to pay for quality, but it seems that most laptops today
> are either crappy toys, crippled by sucky screens, or Macs.
>
> Help me, Plug, you're my only hope!

I love my hp nw9440 mobile workstation.  It's huge, heavy, old, has a
full 104-key keyboard, kills power bricks and batteries with it's power
demands, has a decent keyboard (though my realllly old gateway solo has
my favorite laptop keyboard feel), and pretty much just rocks.  I don't
remember the resolution as I never change it, but 1080 vert rings a bell.

I'm of the opinion that business-class hardware from any of the vendors
is the way to go, thought each vendor seems to be having increasing
problems there as well.  I'm starting to think they aren't engineering
their business stuff anymore, just slapping it together like they do the
consumer hardware.  Sorry, no good-news for you there.

I'd stay away from the Apple stuff if only for the fact they don't have
a decent keyboard layout.  Delete in place of backspace?  What marketing
genius came up with that idea?

;-Daniel