Impossible Laptop

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:09:58 MST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> I'll stick with Lenovos. My R51 is still going strong.
> http://charlescurley.com/Lenovo.R51.html. My T61 (BIOS dated
> 07/01/2008) is doing fine. Both run Ubuntu and Debian just fine, but
> require proprietary bits for the wireless (ipw2200 and iwl3945,
> respectively).

I don't get the love for Lenovo laptops.  That's what we generally get
at work, but it feels to me as if they've gone way downhill since
being spun off from IBM.  I had an IBM-branded T41p that worked well,
aside from the poor monitor resolution.  I switched to a W500 a couple
of years ago that's more powerful and has a much nicer display, but
the construction feels considerably cheaper and it's got numerous
issues sleeping and waking, whether I use Windows or Linux.  I mostly
use Linux, and I can't rely on it waking back up after I close the
lid.  Often it will screw up in a partially-asleep state in which it
chews up the battery and emits a ton of heat.

Plus, they are ugly.  I didn't mind it so much when they were IBM and
it felt like a interesting high-quality rugged ugly, but now they're
just a boring cheap-feeling ugly.  If I'm here long enough to need a
new laptop, I'll get a Macbook instead.

  --Levi