Impossible Laptop

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Fri Nov 18 12:59:43 MST 2011

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:45:12 -0700
Stuart Jansen <sjansen at> wrote:

> I'm looking for:
>   - Matte screen
>   - More than 1080 vertical pixels
>   - A keyboard that doesn't suck

Define "doesn't suck" WRT keyboards.

>   - Good Linux compatiblity

Do you care about proprietary bits?

>   - High quality construction
>     (able to withstand constant travel)
> I'm willing to pay for quality, but it seems that most laptops today
> are either crappy toys, crippled by sucky screens, or Macs.

I'll stick with Lenovos. My R51 is still going strong. My T61 (BIOS dated
07/01/2008) is doing fine. Both run Ubuntu and Debian just fine, but
require proprietary bits for the wireless (ipw2200 and iwl3945,

I suspect the only place the latter fails your requirements is in the
vertical resolution. It displays 1680x1050.