Whats wrong with AWS & other cloud tech?

Nathan Blackham kemotaha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 09:35:50 MST 2011

Disclosure:  I work for AWS.
Also pardon the top post, I haven't seen a phone that can properly trim and bottom post.

The biggest thing with moving to the "cloud" is that to fully utilize it's potential, it requires a different mindset.  Take a look at the netflix blog for tons of information on things they have had to change in the way that things work.  By setting up an application a little differently, you can take advantage of things like autoscaling.  Especially if you consider each machine as disposable and plan for the case when it will fail.  The most successful businesses in the cloud could not run the same way in a traditional datacenter due to the cost difference.

Some other pros are that if things are designed right it takes minutes to increase your capacity by bring one or nodes up to handle additional traffic.  You can also reduce operational costs by using some additional services like RDS and letting RDS handle mysql failover and replication.

Some of the cons are that due to the way that cloud is set up, it is as contusive to traditional type hosting.  For example, you don't get a serial console with EC2.  This makes it harder to troubleshoot boot issues especially if you are running a single server.  Moving to the cloud also might require you to modify your code base to use some of the cloud features.

You made a comment about the outage in April.  I know that we have taken it very seriously and have identified and implemented things to prevent similar things from happening.  It was a all hands on deck situation. On the side, I manage a friends site and even though he was affected and a single instance user (the site doesn't get enough traffic to justify anything else, yet), I was able to take a snapshot of the instance and launch in a different AZ and get him back up after a few hours even though the main instance that was affected was stuck for the whole duration of the outage.

Hopefully that gives you some more info to make your decisions.

Sent with my thumbs