SOLVED: ssh login fails to set $DISPLAY

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Nov 17 12:31:34 MST 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:06:35 -0500
Scott Edwards <supadupa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting. I'm curious of a .ssh/config equiv could work around
> that too. (or ssh -4). ipconfig on the unsupported box has no ipv6
> addresses via ipconfig? (or "ip a")

I'm not sure working with the client would help, since the request for
authorization goes on on the server. I believe ssh -4 tells the client
to make contact with the server only via IPv4, which doesn't help here.
I haven't experimented with it.

Yes, we have no IPv6 support today. Neither ifconfig nor "ip a" show
it.

I begin to wonder if that is a mistake. bind9's db.root comes with some
IPv6 addresses in it. Even if you tell bind to not listen on IPv6, it
still tries to use those addresses and fails. The failure is non-fatal,
but it clutters up your log files. Other tools may silently try IPv6,
which would fail on this box.