One shot website fine tuning needed, html/css

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:54:33 MST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Garth Hill <garth at thrag.net> wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 04:23 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
>> Yeah wish it were that simple, but it's not.  All my tags close
>> properly.  It's something with CSS styling on the links. Basically the
>> clicky area seems to be this huge box around each link, with the
>> effect that adjacent links are being selected when you click on any of
>> the nav links.
>>

> Firebug on Firefox does a nice job of letting you see all the nitty
> gritty of the CSS.

IE9 and Chrome (and possibly others) have similar functionality
built-in now.  Once you turn this feature on in any of them, you get a
pane at the bottom of your window or perhaps a separate window that
has a collapsible tree view of the HTML elements in your document.  As
you mouse over them, their bounds show up in the main window.  If you
click an element, the CSS rules that style it along with the locations
in the files that define those rules show up in another pane.

This makes it relatively easy to track down what's causing an element
to take on the style it does.  If it's not being explicitly styled,
you can have the tool show you how that style cascades to it. They
also show the box model components that contribute to the space
around/inside an object (border, margin, padding). There are still a
few cases where you just have to know why CSS works the way it does in
order to understand things, but at that point you should have enough
information to put together a good google search and find an answer
quickly.

Or, you could pay someone to figure it out and fix it for you.
Whatever makes sense to you!

      --Levi