ssh login fails to set $DISPLAY

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Nov 14 12:36:43 MST 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:40:49 -0700
Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> If X11 forwarding is getting initialized correctly, is there anything
> weird in PAM (for example /etc/security/pam_env.conf)?  It's a long
> shot, but PAM can override environment variables in any way it
> pleases.

I'm not even sure PAM is called. None the less, I see the same on both
the working machine and the non-working machine:

root at dragon:~# grep DISPLAY /etc/security/*
/etc/security/pam_env.conf:# Set the DISPLAY variable if it seems reasonable
/etc/security/pam_env.conf:#DISPLAY		DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}:0.0 OVERRIDE=${DISPLAY}
root at dragon:~#