ssh login fails to set $DISPLAY

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Nov 14 10:13:33 MST 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:14:53 -0500
Scott Edwards <supadupa at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd check with "ssh -vv" - lots of interesting client/server messages
> show up from there.

Good idea. I did a login to the broken machine and a login to another,
correctly working machine. I then diffed the results. I don't see any
significant differences. They both report, in part:

debug2: callback start
debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/bin/xauth  list :0.0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0
debug1: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
debug2: channel 0: request auth-agent-req at openssh.com confirm 0