ssh login fails to set $DISPLAY

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Nov 13 11:10:18 MST 2011

I have three Debian 6.0.x machines, two virtual. The third, dragon, runs
XFCE. I can log into the third machine, but cannot get X to work.
$DISPLAY is not set for root or for a regular user.

On the local machine, the user's .ssh/config has:

host dragon
	Protocol 2
	ForwardX11 yes
	ForwardX11Trusted yes

The identical stanza works for a Ubuntu 10.04 machine.

On dragon, /etc/ssh/sshd_config  has:

root at dragon:~# grep -i forward /etc/ssh/sshd_config
#AllowTcpForwarding yes
#X11Forwarding no
X11Forwarding yes
root at dragon:~#