strange problem

Scott Edwards supadupa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 15:52:39 MDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pluggers:
>
> Maybe somebody out there has seen this....
>
> "\\SAMBA_SERVER is not accessible.  You might not have permissions to
> use this network resource.
> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
> access permissions.
>
> The user name could not be found."
>
> Situation:
[snip]
> What I've ruled out:
> a) if I type the ip instead of the name \\SAMBA_SERVER it works
> b) I can ping \\SAMBA_SERVER no problem
> c) same problem if firewall on or off
> d) It can happen if logged into the domain or not
> e) messed with registry on windows 7 - restrictanonymous set to zero.

In times past I've configured samba.conf to create unique log files
per ip+client-name, and cranked up the debug level for the section in
question.  It can get painfully verbose, so try to keep it a little
low, and increase it if it's not noisy enough.  Keep a backup of the
config so you can quell the noise later (after learning why it's not
behaving like you want).

Good luck!

Scott Edwards