strange problem

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:15:19 MDT 2011

Pluggers:

Maybe somebody out there has seen this....

"\\SAMBA_SERVER is not accessible.  You might not have permissions to
use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.

The user name could not be found."

Situation:

Domain Controller - Windows 2003
Samba Server - running Linux CentOS

Here's how it works:  a user logs into the Domain, then type
\\SAMBA_SERVER at this point he/she is prompted for a username and
password.

This works for every machine (almost all are windows 7) in my office -
except for a few.

What I've ruled out:
a) if I type the ip instead of the name \\SAMBA_SERVER it works
b) I can ping \\SAMBA_SERVER no problem
c) same problem if firewall on or off
d) It can happen if logged into the domain or not
e) messed with registry on windows 7 - restrictanonymous set to zero.

Any ideas.

Merrill