How do I scp files between SSH public key targets?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Mar 7 11:33:04 MST 2011

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:16:01 -0700
Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have setup my network with public keys, which works great, but how
> do I copy files between two target systems?  My desktop has my
> private key, and I have several target systems with a copy of my
> public key.  I can ssh into any of the targets without issue, but if
> I try to scp files between two targets, it fails as the targets do
> not have my private key.

The targets should not have your private key. Only machines from which
you will originate sessions should have private keys, and they should
never be copied to another machine.

If you can ssh in, you should be able to scp in as well to the same
machine and user.

What output, including error message(s), do you see when you try to scp
a file?