DSLR Opinions

Brad Dorner bdorner at novell.com
Mon Jun 13 10:05:47 MDT 2011

From:
Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com>

To:
Provo Linux Users Group <plug at plug.org>

Date:
6/13/2011 9:39 AM

Re: DSLR Opinions

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 06:13:19PM -0600, Tod Hansmann wrote:
>> Anyone have any up-to-the-moment opinions on any digital SLR cameras?
>> Looking to get something that I can do some nice photos and possibly HD
>> video here and there.
>
> Most of the responses are of the "Canon or Nikon" variety.  Not that
> there's anything wrong with a Canon or a Nikon, but this smacks of the
> blind loyalty to Microsoft/Cisco that are so common in the world.

If you want a good camera then I would not write off Canon or Nikon, my preference
is Nikon. Both are superior cameras. I have owned several cameras and keep preferring
Nikon for several reasons. One of the biggest reasons is how it feels in my hands. If a camera
is uncomfortable then you won't get good pictures no matter how good the camera is.
 As for features, it all depends on when you are buying as to which has the most features.
There are several good DSLR review web sites. Look at a few of them and go from there.

Before you start looking at cameras know what features you want. There is more then just the
resolution of the picture. I currently have a 10 meg Nikon DSLR that I can get better pictures
out of then a 12 or 14 meg point and shoot, but the point and shoot is better for my daughter
and son. I don't like canons because of how they feel but feature wise they usually have more then
the Nikons. On the other hand I feel like I get better pictures out of my Nikon then out of the
canons that I have used.

Point I am trying to make is that the only person that can answer your question is you. Go
to the camera store and touch the cameras. Have a list of what you will use the camera for and
the features you would like to have. Look for the camera that will do a little bit more
then you think you need. Find one that feels good in your hands. Ask the sales people what
they think and what they own. Go with a camera that is going to last, specially if you are
looking at an expensive one. This is another reason I go with Nikon. During my last go around
in buying a camera I almost bought a Canon, but the nikon felt better. I also knew the nikon
would last. After using cameras for almost 40 years there are not many cameras that I can say that
about.

Brad