DSLR Opinions

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 09:31:38 MDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 06:13:19PM -0600, Tod Hansmann wrote:
>> Anyone have any up-to-the-moment opinions on any digital SLR cameras?
>> Looking to get something that I can do some nice photos and possibly HD
>> video here and there.
>
> Most of the responses are of the "Canon or Nikon" variety.  Not that
> there's anything wrong with a Canon or a Nikon, but this smacks of the
> blind loyalty to Microsoft/Cisco that are so common in the world.
>
> I would like to give you an answer that may require a bit more thought
> on your part, but which may help you to get the right equipment for you
> and for the right reasons.  Here goes.
>
> Optics are all about tradeoffs involving performance, size, and cost.
> You need to determine what level of quality you require, what your
> bugdet is, and what size of camera you are willing to carry with you.
> These judgments are different for each person.

My particular judgement led me to Pentax DSLRs, which have served me
pretty well as an occasional hobbyist.  They're not nearly as popular
as Nikon and Canon, so you can't generally pick them and their lenses
up locally as easily, but even the entry level DSLRs fully support all
the old Pentax film lenses with their in-body autofocus motors and
shake-reduction.  The aftermarket lens makers generally make Pentax
mounts as well.

Probably not the best technically, but the whole system is priced well
and if you can handle not having the 'popular' and 'best' stuff, it's
a fairly inexpensive way to get a pretty nice camera.

        --Levi