DSLR Opinions

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Sat Jun 11 13:56:58 MDT 2011

On 6/10/2011 8:08 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 06:13 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
>> Anyone have any up-to-the-moment opinions on any digital SLR cameras?
>> Looking to get something that I can do some nice photos and possibly HD
>> video here and there.  I don't want to do any lock-in formats like the
>> Sony Memory Stick (tm) or whatnot, but I'm not opposed to non-standard
>> formats like xD cards or something.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Canon T1i.  My sister has one, she loves it, and it produces excellent
> photos [1].  She did have a problem once with a weak gear connected to
> the auto-focus motor inside the lens, but that was remedied by
> replacing the lens.
>
> [1] http://shellyhathaway.com/
>
> Shane

There was a lot of good feedback on this (thanks for all the
contributions).  I should note that I'm mostly buying for my wife's use,
as I won't have time to get into photography anytime soon.  She and I
went to Allen's here in Orem and used some cameras there, and we went
with a Canon T3i with a 18-135 lens.  It comes with a basic lens hood,
has a lot of the features she'll likely get into in our family events
and had a good price.

I'm tempted to get into it myself, but I have to focus on more technical
learnings for the moment.

Thanks again for all the info.  She's pouring through a lot of it today,
actually.

-Tod Hansmann