DSLR Opinions

Joshua Fenio std3rr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 07:39:59 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com>

> Anyone have any up-to-the-moment opinions on any digital SLR cameras?
> Looking to get something that I can do some nice photos and possibly HD
> video here and there.

I've owned the D40, the D90, and currently, the D7000.  All of which are
Nikon - but you can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon.  Questions to ask
yourself when deciding between the two brands are:

What do my friends use?  (so you can borrow lenses and the like)
What type of pictures do I want to take?  (I'd argue that the D7000's low
light performance is better than anything else in its price range -
conversely, Canon's a perennial favorite in the portrait crowd - Canon
strobes tend to be cheaper and more varied)

Honestly, body isn't nearly as important as the lenses you buy.  I'd
probably recommend the D90, but that's because I'm a huge fan of Nikon.  You
can't really go wrong with the T1i, either (although I'd probably argue that
the D90 is the 'better' camera ;-)).

I'm no professional, just an amateur who has fun, but here are a couple
photos I've taken with my Nikons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dataw0lf/5693603364/in/photostream - photo of
my stepdaughter at ISO 2500, highlighting the D7000's superb performance in
such conditions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dataw0lf/5467278620/in/photostream - Another
D7000 shot, shot in Provo Canyon.  This is using a Tokina 12-24mm wide angle
lens.  I'd argue that Nikon's wide angles are far superior to Canon's (Canon
does have them beat in the telephoto area though).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dataw0lf/4980927334/in/photostream - D90 shot,
with a 70-200mm f2.8.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dataw0lf/4746702012/in/photostream - D90 with
the Tokina wide angle lens, backcountrying in the Tetons.

2011/6/10 Jason Hall <jayce at lug-nut.com>

> Go for the Rebel, or I forget the line on Nikon that compares, and
> then spend some money on some better lenses than come in the kit.

The D3100, probably.  Never used it, but I'm sure it's a fine camera.  The
problem with cheaper Nikons (I had this problem with my D40), and this
problem extends to the D3100, is that they have no in-body focus motor.
 This means that you can't use older lenses, because older lenses don't have
a motor builtin to them.  You can tell the lenses that're compatible with
these cheaper Nikon bodies by the "AF-S" designation they have.  Most new
lenses do have this designation, so you aren't too limited, but if you're
like me and have a Dad who has 50+ year old lenses that you want to give a
shot, it can be a surprise.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Jonathan Duncan <
jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:

> It really all comes down to how much you want to spend and what you want
> the camera to do.  Here is some suggested reading.  Some people do not like
> Ken Rockwell and consider him biased, but I enjoy the information and
> perspective he provides.
> http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
> http://www.digitalreview.ca/

Ken Rockwell has some interesting tidbits, but I vastly prefer Thom Hogan
for Nikon related stuff, and DP Review which has probably the most thorough
camera and lens reviews on the internet.

At any rate, coming from the Nikon world, I'd suggest you buy a used D90
(don't bother with the kit lens), and purchase a 50mm f1.8 (~100 bucks,
known in the Canon and Nikon worlds as "nifty fiftys"), and another lens
dependent upon your interests (landscape / architecture - Sigma 10-20mm or
Tokian 12-24mm, wildlife / sports - 18-200mm f2.8).

- JF