DSLR Opinions

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:42:36 MDT 2011

On 06/10/2011 06:13 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> Anyone have any up-to-the-moment opinions on any digital SLR cameras?
> Looking to get something that I can do some nice photos and possibly HD
> video here and there.  I don't want to do any lock-in formats like the
> Sony Memory Stick (tm) or whatnot, but I'm not opposed to non-standard
> formats like xD cards or something.

I don't know of any camera, DSLR or not, that uses those funky,
proprietary memory cards anymore.  Everyone is using SD or CF (all my
brother's Canon DSLRs use CF I believe).  The one thing you will have to
deal with on DSLRs is semi-proprietary raw file formats, though the most
common ones are well understood, so that shouldn't cause you any problems.

My brother has several high-end Canon DSLRs which he likes, and on one
he's running some open source firmware, or rather firmware add-ons that
boot off the CF.  The latest Canon my brother bought can do very nice HD
video, which was one of the reasons he bought it.  Of course he has used
Canons for years (35 mm days) and the lenses are all still the same
mount.  I've heard from others that quite like the Nikon DSLRs

Something else to consider are the many cameras that are between POS
(read that anyway you want) and the DSLR.  Maybe mini-dslr?  Can't
remember the terminology.  Anyway they are DSLR-like, but not as big.
They tend to have better optics than the little cameras, and some have
adapters for adding lenses.  Many of them take very nice pictures.

My brother learned while attending BYU that a DSLR and very big lense is
a defacto press pass.