Worst Interview Ever?

Henry Paul henry at paulfam.com
Wed Jun 8 20:42:27 MDT 2011

On 06/08/2011 03:18 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Interviewer:  "We've had this project going on 3 years now, we've had
> our specification for over a year and we need someone to handle the
> implementation details."
> Me: "Ok thats not a problem, you mean like creating diagrams, getting
> teams to talk to each other and that sort of thing right?"
>
> Interviewer:  "No we've got someone who does that, he's the CEO's son
> and he's the Project Manager, you would be working directly with him
> to turn his diagrams into software."
> Me: "I'm not sure I follow you."
>
> Interviewer:  "You know how to program don't you?"
> Me; "Of course, I've been doing it for most of my life.  It's where I
> started my career."

That would have been the end of it for me right there. You're not even
close to implementation if you still need to 'code the diagrams'.
Implementation is where you go live with what you have written, tested,
beat to death, paid someone else to fix, etc.

CEO's son and he's the project manager. WARNING! This company has NO
IDEA what they are doing! They hand out titles to whomever has the
highest relationship in the company to the boss. Their idea of project
management is likely "code this diagram now!".

I actually find 'the letter' a bullet-dodger in those situations because
sometimes I might be too desperate for work to recognize a recently
punctured Titanic when I see it.

--Henry