Stout

David Haak david.haak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:42:00 MDT 2011

n Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Jason Van Patten <jason at infogenix.com> wrote:
> On 6/7/2011 9:53 AM, Daniel C. wrote:
>>> Moi? I find it much more profitable to ponder the depths of a good
>>> stout.
>> I recommend avoiding Stone Imperial Russian Stout, unless you're a
>> massochist.  Then again, it's been a few years, and maybe my first
>> impression was wrong...
>>
>> Anyone know of a good Utah stout?  One that won't obliterate my mind
>> in a single bottle and leave me with the mother of all hangovers the
>> next day?
>>
>> /*
>> Don't fear the penguin.
>> */
>>
> Barq's?

All the really, really good stouts I know of unfortunately only come
in one and done bottles, and many are not from Utah, but I love beer
so here are some of the best I have had.

(Utah) Squatters Outer Darkness -- Pours like paint, very well worth
the price, by far my favorite beer that squatters has made
(Utah) Crooked Labyrinth Black Ale -- This is part of Uinta's Crooked
line of beers
(Oregon) Deschutes Abyss -- Very similar to the above, but with more
liquorice notes to it
(Oregon) Rogue Shakespeare Stout -- More chocolate flavor than I care
for, but I would not refuse one.
(Denmark) Mikkeller Rauch Geek Breakfast -- Anything and *everything*
that Mikkeller brews is golden. Just drink it.
(Michigan) Bell's Expedition Stout -- Tried their Two Hearted Ale, and
was impressed, as by their stout.

Notable ones to avoid:
(Utah) Roosters Stout -- very chocolatey, unless they have mellowed
their recipe for the better
(Utah) Uinta King's Peak Porter -- stay away from this one. It took me
a long time to forgive Uinta for it.
(California) Laguintas Brewery -- Anything. Don't bother.

My $.02

--
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the