linux carputer

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 02:10:15 MDT 2011

On Jun 7, 2011 12:54 AM, "Mike Lovell" <mike at dev-zero.net> wrote:

> I've recently gotten back on a kick of investigating possibilities and
> options for replacing the head unit in my car (the factory default
> double din one) with something a little more sophisticated. I have a
> mini-itx motherboard that I would probably use for this and would
> probably get a touch screen that can fit in a double din space. I'm
> mainly wondering about what software to use as my new stereo. Does
> anyone on the list have any suggestions? Are there any solutions people
> of the list have tried? Right now, I'm thinking of using Centrafuse but
> I am disappointed in the need for windows (though it is not a deal
> breaker. GASP).
>
> Thanks
> mike

Automotive head unit firmware is my day job right now, so this is a topic
I've heavily researched. :) There are some very interesting things happening
in this space, and probably the most interesting to someone who wants Linux
in their car is the GENIVI Alliance, which is a group of auto manufacturers
and tier one equipment suppliers to them who have banded together to create
a common IVI infrastructure. Last year, they chose Moblin and MeeGo as their
first development platform.

This means that in a year or two, factory head units will start to come with
Linux! Of course, they probably won't be easily hackable from the factory,
but the basic platform will be open source and will be usable for custom car
PCs, and there are already reference hardware platforms available.

Meego has an IVI release right now, though I haven't tried it so I can't say
how stable it is. You can find it at: https://meego.com/devices/in-vehicle