Collective Wisdom : Zmanada v Bacula v ??

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Jun 6 15:54:38 MDT 2011

On 06/06/2011 02:59 PM, Victor Villa wrote:
> Greets oh wise PLUG collective that have pondered the depths of infinity,
> space-time and that's just this past week.
>
> I come seeking advice on backup software solutions.
>
> I've read some great things about Zmanda, and Bacula looks pretty good.  The
> backup "server" is an i7 w 4GB RAM running ubuntu 11.04.  The box has 2 hot
> swap SATA bays in the front that I was hoping to backup to.
>
> Can anybody speak to either of the software above, or another FOSS solution?

I just recently rebuilt a Bacula server and I'm more pleased with it
than I was before. I'm using a 16TB DroboPro FS as the backend storage
with 1GB virtual tapes. I've got a mixture of Linux (Debian, Redhat &
CentOS) and Windows clients, including an Exchange server. Not a problem
with any of them. Actually, I take that back. Getting the Bacula client
for Redhat 7.3 was a pain, but I can't exactly fault Bacula for that.
Luckily, older clients do work very well with newer directors.

And then within a week of getting everything running smoothly we had a
major power failure and lost two servers. Bacula restore for both of
them went very well and they were each running within a few hours. I
couldn't ask for much more.

I haven't gotten all my bacula configs merged into Puppet yet. I have it
push out a bacula-fd.conf.template and I customize it by hand. Maybe
someday.

Corey