[OT] Social Network Privacy

Eric Wald eswald at brainshell.org
Fri Jun 3 23:24:43 MDT 2011

On Fri, May 27, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Personally, I suspect my brain actually does have all my memories, but
> that as my thinking patterns have shifted, my ability to understand my
> own former thoughts has diminished.  It's as if all the old files are in
> an old format that the new software isn't very compatible with.  I also
> suspect that if I had enough time in life, I could gain enough mental
> stability to comprehend both my current thoughts and my former thoughts,
> and thus remember much more.

I wish I could believe that.  Unfortunately, I've learned that the brain
actually prunes less-active connections, particularly around age 6.  In
fact, failing to do so leads to a certain type of mental disorder.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely certain how the brain manages to
store memories in the first place.  Playing around with artificial
neural nets makes its pattern-recognition abilities understandable,
but the ability to store a single event, including time, is kind of
mind-blowing.

- Eric